We want to create an index of the lady scientists on Tumblr, much like shychemist did for all scientists. (Have we thanked you lately?!) However, it’s a bit more challenging as not all of you announce your gender on your blogs. So, if you identify as a woman/female,* let us know if you want to be included!
Join us in supporting Marina and her awesome new Youtube Project idea!
A #herocrush isn’t romantic or sexual, it’s about people you admire. People you’d love to work with to dismantle systems of oppression. This year most of my #herocrushes happened to be trans women.
This is a great read. Get to know the women who are changing things and making life better for trans women everywhere.
This is a resource post for all the Good White Person™s out there. You know, the ones who say things like “It’s not my fault I’m white! Don’t generalize white people!”, or “I’m appreciating your culture! You should be proud!”, or “Why do you hate all white people, look I’m a special snowflake who’s not racist give me an award for meeting the minimum requirements for being a decent human being”.
Well, if you are actually interested in understanding racism and how it ties into cultural appropriation, please read instead of endlessly badgering PoCs on tumblr with your cliched, unoriginal arguments and repeating the same questions over and over.
On White Privilege
aka don’t blame me just because I’m white:
- It’s Not My Fault I Was Born White: Basics of White Privilege x
- Racial Divide x
- Endless Examples of White Privilege x
- You Cannot Know What It’s Like To Be A Racial Minority x
- Intersectional Feminism x
- White Privilege Does Not Mean White People Have Perfect Lives x
- White Privilege and White Supremacy: A Presentation x
- You Will Never Experience Racism x
- Understanding White Privilege x
- White Privilege and Double Standards x
- Systematic White Ignorance x
- The Invisibility of White Privilege x
- The Luxury of White Privilege x
- White Privilege: The Harry Potter Analogy x
- Privilege Denial Bingo x
- Privilege and Cost x
- Check Your Privilege 101 x
- Whiteness x
- Whiteness is Not A Culture x
- White Privilege and Racism x
- Deeply Embarrassed White People Talk About Race x
- When White Anti Racists Talk About ~Their Struggle~ x
- White Privilege As A System x
On Reverse Racism
aka you are being racist against white people:
- Are White People Racially Oppressed x
- White People, the new Racial Minority x
- People Don’t Value Pale Skin!! x
- There Is No Such Thing As Reverse Racism x
- Racism vs. Not Racism x
- But White People Are Discriminated Against In Foreign Countries x
- The Myth of Reverse Racism: Why Cracker is Not N**** x
- Satire: A Step Wise Guide on Being Reverse Racist x
- Racism Against White People vs. Racism Against POCs x
On Cultural Appropriation
aka I’m just appreciating your culture:
- The Basics x
- Identifying Appropriation x
- But When We Wear It … x
- Why Can’t I Wear It (Hipster Headdresses) x
- Not Yours x
- If You Take The Bindi x
- White People Do It Better x
- Multiculturalism and Appropriation x
- Cultural Appropriation and Portrayals In Print Media x
- Diminishing the Cultural Significance of the Bindi x
- The Cultural Appropriation Bingo x
- Why We’re Fed Up of Your Responses x
- Identities Are Not Costumes x
- Hinduism And Appropriation x
- Religion and Privilege x
- Bindis Are Cool x
- Exotic India x
- What’s Wrong With Cultural Appropriation x
- Racism, Bindis and Ganesh Tattoos x
- BUT YOU’RE SPEAKING ENGLISH! x
- Cultural Appropriation Trolls x
- Guide to Being An Appropriating Douchefuck x
- New Age ~Culture Mixing~ x
- In case you’re tired of the prose, here’s poetry x
- Why You Shouldn’t Wear A Bindi x
- Appropriating and Sharing x
- Our Culture is A Punchline Until It’s a Trend x
- Homage Or Insult x
- Tattoos and Appropriation x
- Bollywood is Not Synonymous With Indian x
- College Party Costumes and Stereotypes x
- Dotheads x
- Bindis and Racist Humour x
- Hindu Iconography x
- Misuse of Hindu Iconography x
- Your Appreciation Doesn’t Help Us x
Assorted Vials of White Tears and Miscellaneous Antidotes
aka I can’t change that I’m white/not all whites are racist/we are all humans:
- Unoriginal Arguments Refuted x
- Quick Checklist: You Might Be Racist If x
- Your Opinion Isn’t Necessary x
- I’m Not Responsible For My Ancestors x
- The Kumbayah Myth x
- Proud to Be White x
- Good White Person x
- We Don’t Hate White People x
- Brutality of Colonialism And Why You Can’t Tell Us To Forget the Past x
- People Who Claim Not To See Race Are More Likely to Be Racist x
- All Races are Beautiful Said the White Girl x
- Race Blindness Is A Luxury x
- Well, You’re Racist For Calling Me Racist x
- I’ve Read About Its Significance, I Know What It Means
- Angry Because Someone Called You Racist x
- We’re Not All Like That x
- People Only Care About This Trivial Shit On The Internet x
- I Can’t Apologize for Being Born White, It’s Not My Fault x
- Why Can’t You Tell Me What I’m Doing Wrong x
- It’s Easy to Be Color Blind When You’re White x
- A Diagrammatic Guide To White Tears x
- Conversations I’m Sick Of Having With White People x
- Why Do You Hate White People x
- I’m Trying To Be Cultured x
- Sisyphean Conundrum x
- What is Your Problem x
- We Are All Human, We All Bleed Red x
- It’s Just A Bindi x
- How Not To Respond To Accusations of Racism x
- I’m Italian And 0.009% Native American x
- What White People Think Racism Means: A Venn Diagram x
- White Guilt x
- White Pride!!!111!!! x
- I Like *Insert Foreign Country* I Want To Live There x
- You Have So Much Hate, Fighting Fire With Fire Won’t Help x
- BooHoo, Don’t Call Me Racist x
- Not Everything Ended With Your Ancestors x
- The Racist Reaction x
- I Don’t See Why That Is Racist x
- Crummy Apologies x
Okay. I agree. I’ve been socially conditioned not to notice racism and recognize my privilege. What can I do?
I don’t care about this bullshit; you’re making a big deal out of nothing, go home and delete your blog:
Weee thanks! <3 I don’t know, to be honest. Our lives have changed a lot since we started the channel and I think we all struggle to fit in vlogging on a regular basis.
That said my next semester at uni is gonna be empty so I am hoping to get back to it again! If anyone has topic suggestions…*hint hint*
Here’s a pretty good link with screencaps and gifs and nice things explaining the opinion that yep, this shit is racist, for your delectation (mainly because OP is way better at explaining things than I am, but i am of the opinion that yep, this is total accessorising. In my eyes, even if it is ironic, white people should stop using black bodies to be ironic. Stop.)
Hope it helps!
Thank you! This made my day. Always good to hear :))
[CW racist slurs in the screenshot below]
OK…so my friend Emma puts this video of her venting her frustration about Google Plus on YouTube. It gets an overwhelmingly positive response…30,000 likes after like three hours of being online and less than 1000 dislikes.
And yet…let’s take a look at the “Top Comments” YouTube decided would be more relevant and important to me:
I think I have identified a couple of problems.
First, I assume Google has a very sophisticated spam filtering program but, apparently, it isn’t triggered by someone just typing the word “nigger” 85 times. So, yeah, let’s put some resources toward that.
Second, the algorithm is promoting controversial, not popular posts. Since the entitled assholes of G+ are arguing with Emma Blackery fans those comment threads are getting promoted and it looks like the majority of people (at first glance) disagree with her.
Third, and this is maybe the more important point…YouTube is highlighting the comments from popular G+ users and, apparently, they’re dicks. Criticizing Emma’s (lovely) hair, making fun of the structure of what is obviously not meant to be a fucking Bob Dylan song. Calling her a “Clever little attention seeker” belittling her concerns and repeatedly referring to her as “entitled.”
These guys are who trolls grow up to be.
This has been part of G+’s problem from the beginning, it’s used by a very small segment of mostly male, professional, egotistical, entitled people who can’t believe anyone would ever /not/ use Google+ because it’s so awesome…except when you do go use it, they get up in your face for “using it wrong.”
If YouTube is going to just be giving voice to those people at the expense of the ACTUAL fans of the ACTUAL content then that is a MUCH DEEPER problem than linking up a dummy G+ account and then ignoring it forever. If they’re going to punish you for not being an active G+ user and not spending all of your social time on G+ then that indeed is evil and wrong and something I will not stand for.
At the moment, I’m prepared to believe that these are just problems that were not anticipated and are going to be worked out. In the meantime, go to Emma’s video and vote those assholes down because they don’t deserve a voice in our community.
Yeah so this is…awful.
I was actually looking forward to the comment revamp because I thought the filters and more nuanced moderating options would help quash trolls. I also didn’t realise it meant integrating with Google+.
I’m not too bothered by the latter, although the new comments system will take some getting used to and I understand why people are so annoyed at Google using YouTube’s popularity as leverage to force people to use Google+ whether they want to or not (not cool Google, not cool).
And I still think the new filtering and moderating options will really help. We used to get so many just awful comments on Pesky Dames videos and it was a choice between letting them all go up and deciding whether/what to delete afterwards (risking hateful comments staying up for days), having to go through and approve them all individually (emotionally draining/time consuming), or turning off comments entirely.
Now we can create pre-approved circles of people who actually want to engage with our videos, pre-blocked lists of all the anti-feminist MRA trolls who just want to annoy/harass us, filters for keywords like “feminazi” that pepper the comments of random passer-by trolls, and finally moderate or blanket approve the rest.
But there are still SO MANY PROBLEMS in the above. In particular that last comment which, what the fuck how did that get through?! And the whole notion of comments from ‘popular users’, which from the above and some of what I’ve seen in the “top fans” they’ve chosen for us so far can just mean annoying assholes who get into massive arguments in the comments about how much they hate you and everything your video is about (in which case may I suggest you DON’T WATCH IT and DON’T KEEP COMMENTING?!)
I’m still hopefully that this will mean a less daunting and hateful YouTube comments section, but we’ll see.
[tw: mention of rape & forced marriage]
Thanks for the compliments!
I don’t want to get into a ‘you guys don’t allow for any debate’ issue because that really opens the dungeon. The dungeon where we keep all the trolls. Troll dungeon. Etc.
As to ‘urgent issues’, I’m a big believer in that we can fight multiple battles on a variety of fronts at the same time. Personally, I tend to speak most about issues I have either experienced personally or come up against a lot, because that’s the only thing I can talk about with any real authority. I think this works because we intended Pesky Dames to be a platform for a whole host of women’s voices - so if you want to talk about issues like rape in forced marriage, then feel free to make us a vlog or blog post about it, or if there’s an organisation you know that does great work, tell us about it.