In general, each Dame moderates the comments on her own video. Sometimes, we step in and help each other out. Guest vlogs are set to pre-approval comments and are moderated by whoever gets to them first. Each Dame moderates her comments in a different way – some are set so comments must be pre-approved, some post-moderate their comments. Each Dame has different boundaries and feelings about what is acceptable and what is not - some Dames warn people before removing/blocking commenter’s, some do not.
Comments are usually checked at least once a week but sometimes the odd one slips through the net – so be patient if we take a while to reply! However, lack of reply or publication can also mean one of the Dames has removed your comment.
- Please stick to the point! We’re interested in discussing the specific topics our videos are about – our comment threads are NOT a place to debate the validity of feminism in general, or unrelated concepts. If you want to discuss a different topic, you can reach us via email, tumblr, twitter, or facebook.
- Any abusive comments or threats towards the Dames will get you blocked.
- Any abusive comments towards ANYONE will get you blocked! Being racist, sexist, heterosexist/homophobic, transphobic, misogynistic – your comment will not be published and you will be blocked.
- No triggering things, unless you preface your comment with a trigger warning. We want our comment threads to be a safe place for everyone, not a harmful and hateful place.
- Respect the moderators. Their decision is final – if a Dame asks you to stop, stop.
1.You say you want to debate, but you moderate your comments!
We have a duty towards our viewers to make sure that the comment thread is a safe space for discussion. If you make that space hostile or oppressive, you are making it un-safe and we will not tolerate that.
2. What about free speech?
Us deleting your comments is not a violation of free speech. Our comment threads are not a public space. It is a space owned by us, and as such we are responsible for it and get to decide which views we do and do not host. Handy tip: if your views are discriminatory and oppressive, we ain’t hosting them. The rest of the internet is at your disposal – but our comment threads are not.
3. I posted a comment weeks ago – why has it not appeared?
Either the Dame responsible for moderating hasn’t seen it – sometimes comments do slip through the cracks. Otherwise, a Dame may have decided to remove or disallow your comment (see the guidelines above for reasons why).