Fatty Sewing Club is a blog for fatties who make their own clothes or would like to learn! The fashion industry sucks, and it especially sucks for fat people. Rather than begging for inclusion in the thin-dominated fashion industry, I’d love to see fat fashion become a community of fat folks who work together to make our own clothes, to make clothes for other fatties within the community (since not all fatties can/want to make their own clothes!), and to fight against the fat-hating standards of ‘flattering’ that are so pervasive in the mainstream fashion industry. Unfortunately, making your own clothes is not very accessible! Not everyone can afford a sewing machine, sewing supplies, fabric, sewing lessons, etc. In a few years I hope to start a Fatty Sewing Club that provides free fabric, lessons and materials and access to sewing machines. But collecting all that stuff will take a long time! So for now FSC is going to be a blog, and I need your submissions!
- Online sewing tutorials that you’ve either made or that you’ve found to be helpful — especially the basics!
- Pictures of clothing you’ve made! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
- I especially want submissions from fat people of color, fat trans* people, fat people of ALL genders, fat disabled people, and fat people who are the equivalent of US size 20+. If this blog simply reproduces social inequalities by only showcasing the most privileged of us fat folks, then it’s pretty useless, right?
- Anything inspiring! Pictures of your sewing machines, your fabric stashes, whatever.
- SUGGESTIONS! I want to hear all of your suggestions, questions, criticisms, etc.
- Links to your Etsys or wherever if you’re fat and like to make clothes for other fat people
- Any information you have on where to find affordable sewing supplies.
- ANYTHING YOU FEEL IS RELEVANT!DO NOT WANT:
- Submissions that reproduce fat-shaming. Whenever the topic is fat fashion usually there are people who talk about “flattering” things that are meant to make fat people look thinner, smoother… NONE OF THAT!
- Submissions that reproduce any sort of -isms.
PLEASE REBLOG, SIGNAL BOOST, WHOEVER YOU ARE!!!
I think this is all I have to say for now! Check the sidebar on the blog for more info. Hopefully I’ll be able to start posting in a few days once I start getting in submissions.
This is super rad!
doing my final on fat fashion and the precarious politics of aesthetic resistance right now and as I write into the night I keep getting really pumped on this quote and I thought I would share it because its just like, so totally relevant to my lifestyle choices and stuff